It’s pancake day! Yes, it’s Shrove Tuesday, the day when everyone in the UK gets out all the milk, eggs and flour they have and makes the best pancakes ever! How many can you eat?
Wait, let me guess, you’ve eaten so many pancakes that you’re sick of them, or at the very least you are sick of the same pancakes you have every pancake day.
Well don’t worry, The Jelly Bean Factory is here to make your pancake day a million times better and tell you how to make the best jelly bean pancakes.
What Is Pancake Day?
Pancake day, or Shrove Tuesday, is a day when we eat pancakes. But why do we eat pancakes on Shrove Tuesday?
The traditions of Shrove Tuesday go all the way back to medieval times and eating pancakes is actually one of our oldest traditions.
Pancake day is the day before lent. Lent lasts for 40 days and 40 nights and in medieval times, Christians would observe lent by giving up certain foods, for the full 40 days and 40 nights.
There were a few different foods that Christians had to give up, but they were mostly foods that were unhealthy or high in fat because this was seen as unnecessary and luxurious.
Foods like bacon and other meats were eaten the Monday and other foods, like milk butter and eggs, were eaten up on the Tuesday so that people’s pantries would be bare in time for lent on Wednesday.
Turns out the best way to use up milk, butter, and eggs were to make them into pancakes or fritters and so Shrove Tuesday became known as the day when everyone eats pancakes or pancake day.
People still give up things for lent to this day. You don’t have to give up all the things we used to give up back then, but it can be a fun and healthy way to cut out some of the more unhealthy things in our diet.
How To Make The Fluffiest Pancakes?
If you want to make the fluffiest pancakes ever then here is a clever little recipe.
- In a large bowl, add 300g flour, 3 tbsp sugar, a pinch of salt, 1 tsp baking powder, and 1 tsp baking soda and whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl or liquid measuring cup, add 600ml buttermilk, 8 tbsp melted butter, and 2 egg yolks (put the egg whites to one side) and whisk to combine.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and gently fold with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Add the egg whites and fold until just combined.
- Let the batter rest for 15-30 minutes at room temperature.
- Add the butter to a hot frying pan. Once the butter has melted and is bubbling, add a dollop of batter to the pan.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, until bubbles start to appear on the surface. Flip the pancake over and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve the pancakes with butter and maple syrup.
How To Make The Best Jelly Bean Pancakes
If you want to make the best pancakes ever then you can add jelly beans to the recipe to give the pancakes that extra burst of flavour. You can add the pancakes in step seven, sprinkle the jelly onto the pancake just before you flip it. The jelly beans will stick to the still wet batter and perfectly become one with the pancake.
If that is still isn’t enough jelly bean goodness for you, you can even strike them on top of the pancake and make the most vibrant, colourful pancakes ever!
Can’t wait to get your hands on some of our delicious huge flavours? Then visit our shop for all your jelly bean needs!
Have more questions?
Check out our FAQ for more. You can also follow us on Social media or Contact us. If you have a question, a comment or just fancy a chat about jelly beans, we’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible.